Members of chambers prosecute for the Serious Fraud Office, the CPS Specialist Fraud Division and the Financial Conduct Authority.
Defence practitioners are regularly instructed to represent high profile defendants.
Members of chambers provide a full service; expertise includes pre charge advice, criminal trials, confiscation (and related asset forfeiture applications); and related civil recovery and insolvency investigations.
We also provide specialist advice to corporations and individuals who wish to bring private prosecutions, including mechanisms for the recovery of losses through the criminal courts: a more efficient and effective jurisdiction when compared to the traditional method of bringing civil actions.
Examples of recent and current high-profile cases include:
- Ex premier league footballer convicted of match fixing bribes
- Misick & ors: Turks & Caicos Island ex Premier and Government ministers accused of bribery and corruption conspiracy
- Senior official at the Royal Household charged with accepting bribes for awarding contracts at the Royal Palaces
- Entwhistle & others: £30 million mortgage fraud
- USB Rogue Trader case
- Rico: largest boiler room fraud investigation in Europe
- Edward Davenport & others: £4 million advance fee fraud and £40 million confiscation proceedings
- Chibukem Uzoma-Ubani & others: substantial DWP fraud
- JJB Sports fraud
- Souleiman & others (Op. Ninjask): corrupt solicitors responsible for organising sham marriages
- Sultan & others (Op. Tobin): immigration fraud allowing people to stay in the country illegally
- Aristo: laundering of corrupt payments (£45 million) re United Nations pharmaceutical contract in the Democratic Republic of Congo
- Nautique: £25 million mortgage fraud and associated fraudulent trading
- First prosecution of a professional cricketer for “spot-fixing” during a County cricket match
Chambers & Partners 2015 says
The “dedicated and hard working” Charles Sherrard QC is recommended as a leading Silk in Fraud work. He is “Absolutely stunning with clients and the court” and “Very tenacious”.
Lisa Freeman “… knows absolutely everything there is to know about POCA, and she is totally fearless in putting her case forward…She is very easy to work with as an opponent. She’s very affable, which really makes a difference when you’re getting a deal done.”