- R v. Sultan & ors (Operation Tobin) . Harrow CC. Junior counsel to the Crown. Seven handed conspiracy to defraud the UKBA. Immigration fraud involving manipulation of the points based scheme by accountants and immigration advisors through use of sham companies.
- R v. Souleiman & ors (Operation Ninjask) . Central Criminal Court. Junior counsel to the Crown (CPS Central Fraud Group). High profile case arising out of a joint Metropolitan Police and HMRC investigation into a firm of corrupt solicitors responsible for facilitating sham marriages on an industrial scale and conducting a PAYE fraud.
- R v.Tiffin (Operation Camden) . Central Criminal Court. Junior alone. Instructed by CPS Central Fraud Group. Joint investigation by the Metropolitan Police and HMRC into ticket tout advance fee fraud & cheating the revenue
- R v Guzauskas & another (Operation Clapper) . Croydon CC. Junior defence counsel. £750,000 Construction Industry Scheme & VAT fraud.
- R v O’Mara . Central Criminal Court. Prosecution of ex-employee of the Chartered Institute for Securities and Investments for fraud by abuse of position, causing revenue loss to the CISI of over £200,000.
Matthew undertakes all types of Criminal work, both prosecuting and defending. Appointed to the SFO C Panel (prosecution and POCA), Metropolitan Police Advocates’ Panel and CPS panel at grade 3, he is increasingly instructed in factually complex, multi-handed cases.
Matthew is regularly instructed by the SFO both pre-charge and pre-trial, and is well versed in the law relating to Legal Professional Privilege. Amongst other cases, he was instructed as disclosure counsel in R v. Asil Nadir, and was part of a team of independent LPP counsel instructed as part of the investigation following the collapse of the Icelandic bank, Kaupthing.
- Notable cases - Current and recent instructions
- Baron Dr Ver Heyden de Lancey Prize (Middle Temple)
- Certificate of Honour of the Middle Temple
- Blackstone Entrance Exhibition (Middle Temple)
- Graded ‘Outstanding’, Bar Vocational Course, The College of Law
- Member of the Criminal Bar Association, South Eastern Circuit and Extradition Lawyers’ Association