- Alstom Network UK Ltd, SFO prosecution of UK subsidiary of the French multinational for allegations of corporate corruption. Second junior counsel (Phase 3).
- R v. S (Operation Nightlife), Southwark CC. Prosecution of former HMRC inspector for allegations of Misconduct in a Public Office. Instructed by CPS Specialist Fraud Division.
- R v. Sabin & others (Operation Stagecoach). Blackfriars CC. Boiler room investment fraud. Defendants were the architects of Denver Trading AG & Ltd, which sold £7.75m worth of nearly worthless rare earth oxides through a large network of city brokerages. Junior prosecution counsel, instructed by CPS Specialist Fraud Division.
- R v Peters & others (Operation Mansard), Blackfriars CC. Complex tax fraud, involving high value VAT repayment claims submitted by sham companies relating to the buying and selling of international broadcast rights for cage fighting events which had not taken place. Junior prosecution counsel, instructed by CPS Specialist Fraud Division.
- R v. Sultan & ors (Operation Tobin) . Harrow CC. Junior counsel to the Crown. Seven handed conspiracy to defraud the UKBA. Immigration fraud involving manipulation of the points based scheme by accountants and immigration advisors through use of sham companies.
- R v. Souleiman & ors (Operation Ninjask) .Central Criminal Court. Junior counsel to the Crown (CPS Central Fraud Group). High profile case arising out of a joint Metropolitan Police and HMRC investigation into a firm of corrupt solicitors responsible for facilitating sham marriages and conducting a PAYE fraud. Instructed by CPS Central Fraud Group.
- R v.Tiffin (Operation Camden). Central Criminal Court. Junior alone. Instructed by CPS Central Fraud Group. Joint investigation by the Metropolitan Police and HMRC into ticket tout advance fee fraud & cheating the revenue. Instructed by CPS Central Fraud Group.
- R v Guzauskas & another (Operation Clapper) Croydon CC. Junior defence counsel. £750,000 Construction Industry Scheme & VAT fraud.
- R v O’Mara, Central Criminal Court. Prosecution of ex-employee of the Chartered Institute for Securities and Investments for fraud by abuse of position, causing revenue loss to the CISI of over £200,000.
Matthew undertakes all types of Criminal work, both prosecuting and defending. Appointed to the SFO C Panel (prosecution and POCA), Metropolitan Police Advocates’ Panel and CPS panel at grade 3, he has considerable experience in factually complex, multi-handed cases.
In recent years, Matthew has been increasingly instructed by the SFO and CPS Specialist Fraud Division in complex financial crime cases, ranging from investment, revenue and immigration fraud, to money laundering and bribery and corruption.
He is well versed in the law and procedure relating to LPP and disclosure. Amongst other cases, he was instructed as disclosure counsel in the SFO prosecution of Asil Nadir, and was part of a team of independent LPP counsel instructed as part of the SFO investigation following the collapse of the Icelandic bank, Kaupthing.
Matthew has also been instructed to defend those facing extradition proceedings, both at first instance and on appeal.
- Notable Cases
- Baron Dr Ver Heyden de Lancey Prize (Middle Temple)
- Certificate of Honour of the Middle Temple
- Blackstone Entrance Exhibition (Middle Temple)
- Graded ‘Outstanding’, Bar Vocational Course, The College of Law
- Member of the Criminal Bar Association, South Eastern Circuit, Cybercrime Practitioners’ Association and Extradition Lawyers’ Association