Mark’s Expertise Includes:
Serious Crime, Fraud, Bribery & Corruption, Serious Sexual Offences, Disciplinary Tribunals, Mental Health Tribunals, Confiscation
- For the first defendant in a 25-defendant Conspiracy to Defraud.
- For one of 34 defendants in what is a nationwide conspiracy to supply drugs and launder the proceeds of that conspiracy.
- For one of 10 named defendants in a multi-handed nationwide Conspiracy to Defraud and Engage in Misleading Commercial Practices and launder the proceeds of those conspiracies.
- For one of five named defendants in a multi-handed conspiracy to import hundreds of kilos of cocaine, heroin and cannabis from the continent to Mainland UK.
- For the first of eight named defendants in case alleging a Conspiracy to Facilitate Sham Marriages (27 Sham Marriages particularised) and launder the proceeds of that conspiracy.
- Acted for one of seven defendants in a multi-handed case alleging Murder, Familial Homicide and Perverting the Couse of Public Justice – Acquitted.
- Acted for one of four defendants in a multi-handed case alleging Murder, where the defendants are accused of stabbing a 17-year old to death in a gang related group attack on a residential estate in broad daylight. Following a hung jury the defendant accepted a plea to manslaughter and was sentenced to 10 years imprisonment
- Acted for one of four defendants accused of abduction, false imprisonment and murder. Acquitted of murder and convicted of s18 GBH. Sentenced to 10 years imprisonment.
- Acted for a defendant accused of causing death by dangerous driving as a result of grossly excessive speed. Acquitted.
- Instructed for one of 11 defendants being tried together for gang related offences of conspiracy to cause s18 GBH, Violent Disorder and Drug Offences;
- Instructed (Operation Magician) for one of seven defendants charged with Human Trafficking and Sexual Exploitation Offences.
- Instructed (Operation Broadcast) for one of six defendants charged with conspiring to commit Human Trafficking and Sexual Exploitation Offences over a four-year period.
- Instructed for one of seven defendants charged with a conspiring to commit fraud and immigration offences in relation to sham colleges.
- Instructed for one of two defendants charged with murder as a result of series of stabbings on one evening in the London Borough of Camden, which resulted in two deaths and serious injury of a third person. The offences are said to be gang related.
Mark is a defence specialist.
He has a reputation for building a strong rapport with both lay and professional clients based on meticulous preparation, coupled with a direct no-nonsense approach both in and out of court.
He also has a reputation for being able to get the best out of young and vulnerable defendants, including those on the autistic spectrum and clients suffering from mental incapacity and mental illness. His experience extends to cases where an intermediary was required.
Mark has gained a wealth of experience over the years. His first crown court trial involved a defendant serving life imprisonment (for Manslaughter on the basis of Diminished Responsibility) who had taken a young female gaoler hostage. The defence was duress.
Mark regularly appears in cases alleging Murder, Kidnap, Serious Violence, Firearms, Large-Scale Drugs Supply, and Offences of Dishonesty, including Large-Scale Fraud and Money Laundering Cases. He also defends in trials involving Serious Sexual Offences (including Historic Sex Cases).
Mark’s experience includes representing defendants charged with Evasion of Import Duty and Value Added Tax.
His experience in relation to Money Laundering Cases includes a case where he represented a defendant who was found in possession of over £300,000 in cash that was said to the proceeds of Serious Organised Crime.
He has particular experience in representing defendants charged with Causing Death by Dangerous Driving. Having secured acquittal in a dismissal hearing held over three days in a case where the crown alleged a collision between a lorry and cyclist and more recently securing acquittal on the more serious charge of Causing Death by Dangerous Driving and then a reduction of his client’s sentence on appeal (by 50% from 18 to nine months) for the less serious offence of Causing Death by Careless Driving. Early in 2018 (as stated above) the acquittal of defendant facing trial for Causing Death by Dangerous Driving (grossly excessive speed) was secured at the Central Criminal Court.
Mark has built a strong following with regard advising on the merits of appeal on cases in which he was not originally instructed. He has regularly successfully appealed sentences before the Court of Appeal.
Mark Is Direct Access qualified.