- Di Bendetto v. Italy, Alexander v. France  EWHC 1392 (Admin), Divisional Court guidance on “correcting” invalid European Arrest Warrants through the provision of extraneous information.
- Operation Natland (2017) Central Criminal Court. Junior counsel to the Crown. Allegation of murder.
- Operation Mappelwell (2017) Central Criminal Court. Junior counsel to the Crown. Five handed allegation of murder.
- Bermuda v. D (2017). Counsel for the requested person facing extradition to Bermuda following an allegation of gang related murder.
- R v. M and others  1 W.L.R. 3006, Supreme Court. Junior counsel to the Crown. Supreme Court guidance as to the ambit of the criminal offences created by the Trade Marks Act 1994, and in particular its application to so-called “grey” goods.
- R v. S (Operation Markfield 2017), Central Criminal Court. Junior counsel to the Crown. Allegation of murder committed with a bike lock.
- R v. C & M (Operation Marthwaite, 2017), Central Criminal Court. Junior counsel to the Crown. Allegation of murder by stabbing.
- R v. N & M (Operation Maplebeck, 2017), Central Criminal Court. Junior counsel to the Crown in allegation of “baby shaking” murder.
- R v. Brizzi (Operation Maltby, 2016), Central Criminal Court. Junior counsel to the Crown in a case concerning the murder of a serving police officer.
- R v. Cadette (Operation Lawnhead, 2016), Central Criminal Court. Murder, junior counsel to the Crown.
- Sarao v. USA (2016). Junior counsel representing the requested person in the so-called “flash crash” extradition proceedings.
- Paraguay v. S and G (2016). Counsel for a requested person in a case concerning the first extradition request to be received from Paraguay.
- R v. Mahal and others (Operation Nevermore, 2016) counsel to the Crown in case concerning multi-million pound VAT fraud and money laundering.
- R v. Murray and others, (Operation Lee, 2015-16). Multi-handed conspiracy to supply prohibited firearms, leading counsel for the Crown
- R v. Chowdhury and others (Operation Kakori 2015) junior counsel to the Crown. Prosecution of defendant accused of murdering a love rival.
- R v. Khan and another (Operation Kabala, 2015) junior counsel to the Crown. Prosecution of defendant accused of murdering his wife.
- Brazil v. W (2014). Successful representation of British citizen sought by Brazilian authorities. Discharge ordered on the basis that prison conditions in Brazil were such as to breach the requested person’s article 3 ECHR rights.
- Croatia v. A (2014). Successful representation of individual accused of war crimes in Croatia.
- Brodziak and ors. v. Poland  A.C.D. 59, Divisional Court. Proceedings concerning the enforcement of specialty rights in cases of aggregated sentences.
- Bucnys and ors. v. Lithuanian and Estonian Ministries of Justice  3 W.L.R 1485. Supreme Court. Junior counsel for the Appellant Bucnys. Meaning of a “judicial authority” for the purposes of s.2 of the Extradition Act 2003.Bucnys and ors. v. Lithuanian and Estonian Ministries of Justice  3 W.L.R 1485. Supreme Court. Junior counsel for the Appellant Bucnys. Meaning of a “judicial authority” for the purposes of s.2 of the Extradition Act 2003.
“has the knowledge and experience you expect from a silk.” Chambers guide to the bar, 2018
“very bright with good judgement and an ability to focus in on the heart of the issue.’” Legal 500, 2018
Joel undertakes all types of criminal work. He is a member of the CPS panel advocates scheme at grade 4, and the specialist extradition and organised crime panels. In 2017 Joel was appointed as Junior Treasury Counsel at the Central Criminal Court.
Joel is ranked as a leading junior in ‘crime:extradition’ in Chambers guide to the bar, and is a ranked junior in the Legal 500.
In the field of general crime, Joel’s practice comprises mostly murder, organised crime and serious fraud, as well as appearances in the Court of Appeal and High Court, and judicial review proceedings.
Also regular practitioner in the field of extradition, Joel has represented both individuals and foreign governments in a number of high profile cases including proceedings against individuals accused of murder, terrorism, war crimes and large-scale fraud. Joel has appeared at all levels from first instance hearings to the Supreme Court.
- Recent highlights
Joel is a member of the Criminal Bar Association, the South Eastern Circuit and the Extradition Lawyers’ Association